For the peppered oil:
- 3/4 cup Midtown Olive Chipotle Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- grated zest of one lemon
For the Pesto (See note below):
- 1 cup fresh basil
- 3 Tbsp pine nuts
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping wings
- 2 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1/3-1/2 cup Oro Bailen Picual or other Ultra Premium EVOO from Midtown Olive Oil
- Sea Salt
For the Wings:
- 2 -3 lbs chicken wings
- Coarse Sea Salt & Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne (red pepper)
- 1/4 tsp dried orange peel
Make peppered oil: Combine the Chipotle Olive Oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and lemon zest in a small saucepan. Cook over low heat to infuse the oil, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
Make the wings: Using large resealable plastic bag, place the wings in the bag. Season with salt & pepper; add other seasonings into bag. Then drizzle with about half the peppered oil-toss. Refrigerate and marinate for 2 hours or longer.
Make the pesto: Combine the basil, pine nuts, parmesan, garlic and lemon juice in a food processor and pulse to make a paste. Slowly drizzle the olive oil unitl desired consistency is achieved. Season with salt & pepper. (Note*: If you don't want to make your own pesto, you may use freshly prepared pesto. We sell Bella Cucina Fresh Basil Pesto. It is delish!)
Wings continued: Preheat oven to 350 F. Spread the wings on a rimmed baking sheet. Cook until brown and crispy, about 45 minutes. Transfer wings to a platter, drizzle with pesto and gently toss. Sprinkle with parmesan and drizzle with remaining peppered oil.